Saturday, March 9, 2013

Challenge Entry - Almost & Block



I decided to work a little differently this week. Rather than forming a story around an image, I wanted to create a story and then conform the image to it. The idea was that maybe, just maybe, there would be less back and forth about which image to choose. I'd be telling telling a specific story rather than general one. Then two things happened.

One, I was gentled reminded that the goal is not to define a word but to tell a story.

Two, an immediate image did not come to mind.

Well, this worked out ... well.

It took a few minutes before my mind started creating word stories (as opposed to picture stories). Of course, I was (am) only operating on about four hours of sleep. It went something like this:

Single Frame Stories Prompt: Almost

First there was nothing. No image, no song, no sayings, not even a dust bunny moved in my noggin. Which was fine since I wanted to try a different process. Until I realized that I was completely blank. I had to take a few moments to ponder the word.

Then, it began - What is almost? Um. Uh. Okay, let's see... It's, uh. Hmm. Think! A story with almost. I... Hmm. Again, what is almost... Almost is everything and nothing. It is something that is not quite or is yet to come, such as: And scenes, settings, movie type imagery, RP and book type writing started kicking in. There may or may not have been audible motorcycle engine revving sounds to go along with the steam coming out of my ears as my brain began to work.

Many short stories and situations formed. Everything, as opposed to something, became an "almost."

Fast forward approximately 2 weeks.
(Single Frame Stories Prompt: Almost & Block)

Company arrived before I completed the "Almost Challenge." Company stayed through the "Block Challenge." To be honest, I am not sure I even knew last week's challenge word until today. My point is this - I do not have any images to share at this time. However, I do intend to visit the Single Frame Stories site soon and begin working on this week's word - whatever it may be.

Sorry to disappoint anyone who had hoped to find my challenge submissions and their back stories. Maybe I'll get something more ... artistic for you later this week.
Here's hoping!

~B

No comments:

Post a Comment